English County of Cheshire
UK IMAGES and REFERENCE
Beeston Castle The ruins cover a circumference of about 1.5 kilometres, the inner ballium occupies about 1 acre. The castle is entered by rough steps to a steep narrow-pointed gateway on the west side. On the right of the entrance is a well, which has caused much antiquarian discussion.
Chester Cathedral The building of the Lady Chapel, chapter-house and refectory was in progress early in the 13th century. All the East portion of the cathedral is early English, and this is the finest and most interesting work in the edifice. It is well represented in the doorway of the refectory, and the rectangular chapter-house.
Village of Gawsworth An enchanting village, set amongst forest, parkland and ornamental ponds. The site of the beautiful 16th-century timber-framed Gawsworth Hall was the seat of the Fitton family from 1306 until it was taken over by the Mainwarings in the late 17th-century.
Halton Castle in Cheshire The village of Halton is charmingly placed on the slope of Halton Hill, which is crowned by Halton Castle and the church. Most of the houses are of red sandstone. The castle was the baronial seat of the Marshall of Earl Lupas of Chester.